KK Endometriosis Centre
What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition where the womb lining responsible for menstruation (or endometrium) is found outside the womb. It is a common condition affecting about 10 percent of women. As many as 30% of women complaining of severe menstrual pain are found to be suffering from endometriosis, but the condition is often under diagnosed as it may also be present in women with symptoms unrelated to periods or those who experience minimal discomfort. Endometriosis can cause inflammation, scarring and adhesions of tissues in the pelvis, resulting in infertility and debilitating pain.
You may have endometriosis if you suffer from any of the following symptoms :
- Painful menstruation
- Pain during sexual activity
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Heavy or irregular menstruation
- Pelvic bloating (from endometriotic cysts or enlarged womb from infiltrative endometriosis)
- Bowel-related symptoms during menstruation (painful bowel movements, diarrhea, constipation)
- Urinary-related symptoms during menstruation (painful urination, bloody urination)
You can also be asymptomatic and have endometriosis or endometriotic cysts.
Our endometriosis centre is a one-stop solution that provides holistic and multi-disciplinary care to our patients suffering from endometriosis.
We have the following experts and medical team providing comprehensive care at our centre:
- Gynaecologists with interest and surgical expertise in management of endometriosis
- Specialists in pain management
- Colorectal surgeon
- Women's Mental Wellness
- Dedicated Nurse counselor and coordinator
We also work closely with the Endometriosis Association Singapore Support Group, thereby providing a channel of support for women suffering from endometriosis.
Facilities at our centre include
- Consultation rooms with educational media for the patient
- Ultrasound scans
- Office/outpatient hysteroscopy equipment
Our team at the Endometriosis Centre provides seamless care to patients. Seeking to understand the individual needs of the patient with endometriosis, we offer the following services tailored to improve quality of life for each woman who suffer from endometriosis- related symptoms.
- Consultations to evaluate your symptoms and needs
- Advice on medications to improve symptoms – there is a wide range of medications including non-hormonal and hormonal medications available. We will discuss with you the benefits and side effects of the available options and adjust therapy according to your needs.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy – to confirm the presence of endometriosis. Therapeutic surgery can also be done at the same occasion.
- Therapeutic laparoscopy - to restore normal pelvic anatomy and excise endometriosis. Aims to relief pain and/or symptoms and improve fertility.
- Excision of endometriotic cysts
- Hysterectomy with or without removal of ovaries
- Other pain relief methods including medications, physiotherapy and injections
- Dedicated Nurse Advisor to help coordinate care, teach patients on use of medications, administer injection-type medical treatment, provide pre- and post-operative advice
- Assessment by our colorectal specialist for patients with bowel-related symptoms and endometriosis. Our colorectal surgeon will also provide expert support at surgery for women with complex endometriosis involving bowel.
- Consultation sessions with our mental wellness specialist
- Diagnostic ultrasound scan services
- Outpatient hysteroscopy services
|A/Prof Bernard Chern Su Min
||Director & Senior Consultant (Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy)
||MBBS, M Med (O&G), MRCOG (Lond), MRANZCOG, FAMS
|Dr Tan Heng Hao
||MBBS, M Med (O&G), MRCOG (London)
|Dr Cynthia Kew
||MBBS (S’pore), M Med (O&G) (S’pore)
|Dr Khoo Chong Kiat
||MBBS, M Med (O&G), MRCOG (Lond), FAMS
|Dr Anthony Siow
||MBBS, M Med (O&G), MRANZCOG, MRCOG
|Dr Jasmine Mohd
||MBBS (S’pore), M Med (O&G)(S’pore), MRCOG (UK), FAMS