Rheumatology & Immunology
Our Rheumatology and Immunology Service specializes in treating disorders of the joints, soft tissues, connective tissues and the immune system among children. Such disorders often present as unexplained rashes, fever, arthritis, weight loss, weakness and muscle pain, among others.
We offer comprehensive multi-disciplinary evaluation and care for rheumatic and immunology conditions such as:
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) and related conditions including a broad range of secondary arthritides
- Connective tissue diseases
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), Mixed connective tissue disease
- Scleroderma: localized and systemic form
- Idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: juvenile dermatomyositis, polymyositis
- Primary and secondary systemic vasculitides: Kawasaki disease, Henoch Schonlein Purpura, Polyarteritis nodosa, Wegener’s granulomatosis,
- Microscopic polyangiitis, Takayasu arteritis, etc.
- Periodic fever syndrome or autoinflammatory disorder
- Secondary rheumatic disorders: leukemic arthritis, autoimmune hepatitis, etc, in conjunction with related services.
- Primary immunodeficiency (i.e. severe combined immunodeficiency, immunoglobulin deficiency, Wiskott Aldrich syndrome, Ataxia Telangiectasia, DiGeorge Syndrome, etc) and secondary immunodeficiency syndromes
We operate four general rheumatology clinics, two multidisciplinary lupus clinics and one dedicated immunodeficiency clinic per week.
Range of Services
- Evaluation, diagnosis and management of childhood rheumatologic diseases
- Immunosuppressive/modulator and biologics infusion therapy
- Arthrocenthesis and intra-articular injection
- Comprehensive physical and occupational therapy evaluation and management, orthotics and physical medicine therapy, in collaboration with the departments of Paediatric Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Consultation in co-managing organ specific autoimmune diseases with other departments or subspecialties
- Educational support for the Juvenile Arthritis Support Group and Juvenile Lupus Support Group
- Evaluation, diagnosis and management of immunodeficiency syndromes
- Immunoglobulin infusion therapy
- Bone marrow transplantation for primary immunodeficiency syndromes, in collaboration with our Haematology Service
|A/Prof Thaschawee (Tash) Arkachaisri
||Head & Senior Consultant
||MD, FACR, Dip American Board of Pediatrics, Dip American Board of Allergy/Immunology, Dip American Subboard of Pediatric Rheumatology
|Dr Tan Hung Tiong
||MBBS, MRCPCH (Paed) (UK)
|Dr Lena Das
||Senior Staff Physician
|Dr Liew Woei Kang
||MBBS, MRCPCH (UK)